Monday, August 28, 2017

the third one ...

... was relatively painless. I did not intentionally plan it that way, but am thinking making an effort to find those sub. assignments that are half-day fill-ins is the way to go to lower the stress level. After going to my 'regular' part-time, random employment at 5 a.m., so I could leave at 10:00 to get to the school across town where my other part time job was, it was pretty easy.

When I got there, I could not find the students: classroom empty and dark. A passing staffer said they were at lunch, so I tracked them down, and they spent another thirty minutes in the cafeteria. Then there is the usual bathroom break, dawdling in the hall way, poking along to get back to their room, and settling down. The aide I was replacing had lunch room duty, so I spent another 45 minutes, keeping older students in order. Went back to the class, and found the kindergartners readying to go out on the playground for thirty minutes.

I asked the teacher if I could do anything to help her, make myself useful, so she sent me to the teacher's workroom. I spent another thirty minutes slicing big sheets of construction paper in half, so they can make little books, with colored covers, stapled together. When I got back from that, the teacher had them ready to go home. Book bags at the ready, grouped as: bus riders, daycare, parent pick up, after school care. I was out of there in record time.

The teacher has been at that school for ten years, since it was opened in 2007. Likely has more years of experience as well, so she is skilled in management, and capable of helping her students learn appropriate behavior, redirecting those who need to develop self-control. It was a pretty good experience. The school district has a program on line for substitutes to provide evaluations for their 'day labor' work, and I would have to give this teacher a five star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment