Wednesday, August 30, 2017

rooting around...

... in the area under the big sign across the street. At the entrance to Bull Creek Golf Course, where I have been planting various and sundry over recent months. Some big things, like crepe myrtle that will hopefully turn into small trees. Smaller things like rose bushes that actually got much bigger than I expected, as some are over three feet high. The roses out as mini-rose bushes in three inch pots, that have been quite surprising in their durability and constant blooming..

Then there are others: plants I dug up from my yard, that I would unofficially consider heirlooms, as they came from my parents many years ago. Transplanted from south to middle GA, and remarkably surviving lots of neglect and drought over time. Several varieties that have been donated by friends, fellow gardeners who wanted to give things away, or were rearranging their own space, like dwarf nandina and Stoke's aster.

Plus some lily plants that I hope will come back and bloom year after year: Easter lily bulbs in pots purchased the day after the holiday at a huge discount. Beautiful fragrant Asiatic lily plants that have the same history, bought for nearly nothing the day after Mother's Day. A few things I added to the mix like some butterfly bush that pollinators find very attractive, several flowering almonds that will hopefully grow into trees and become beautiful early spring bloomers.

Several days recently in the past week or so, I have been over there digging up 'undesirables': sprouting acorns by the dozens, wee little oak trees that are under three inches tall. Lots of Virginia creeper that is one of the hardiest plants ever. A number of smilax vines that are so resilient, they come up from underground roots years after the mother plant/original tuber was dug up. Grass that has invaded from the lawn the flower beds, as well as misc. and assorted unnamed weeds. And that annoying dang invasive Chinese privet that the guys had to pull up with a tractor and chain, but left roots that will not quit trying to send up new starts.

Unless you could see what it started from, you might not be much impressed. But I know I am making progress. It has been too hot to get much accomplished, unless I go really late in the day: which means shortly before it gets too dark to see, and sadly, dark is coming considerably earlier each day. At summer's peak we had good daylight until after 9 p.m., but now I cannot see to do any digging after about 8:30. But still making headway.

No comments:

Post a Comment