Monday, September 5, 2016

in limbo...

...which is really surprising, as I know how difficult insurance companies can be when you are trying to get them to agree to paying for medical care. She is still in the hospital, in the same bed as when I left her a week ago. I've dreaded hearing my phone ring, fearing every call would be the nursing staff reporting they were putting her out on the sidewalk. But here she is, cantankerous and uninformative as ever....

At one point several days ago,  I called her room hoping to be pleasant and agreeable in the manner of a 'friendly letter'.  I told her how I was and proceeded to inquire as to her health - she said she was sitting in a motel room waiting for someone to come get her. I asked if she knew how much longer she would be there, and she said I would have to call the office and speak to the manager.

I had hoped the staff would keep her (safe or in the best possible place and circumstances if she were not safe!) through the weekend, to give time to formulate a plan for what will happen next. My best guess today is that she will be discharged soon, and we will have to find caregivers to stay with her in her home. She will be either thoroughly accomodating, highly agreeable - or - most unpleasant ever to people who are being paid to sit. Keep her in sight to be sure she is not in harm's way.

I can't imagine the her insurance will continue to pay for inpatient care just because she refuses to be transferred for rehab. But she appears to not be mobile - and the longer a person is inactive, lying in bed doing nothing the more difficult getting up and active becomes, with loosing muscle mass, mobility, agility and general stamina. Other than the inconvenience of having to get staff in place to help her get up and exercise, I don't know why she is still a patient, and surprised she has not exhausted the patience of everyone on the staff, causing some to threaten to do her grievous bodily harm. Even though as health care professionals, they are trained to relieve pain and suffering rather than be the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment