Saturday, May 16, 2015

travelin' around - there and back again..(plus gardening party)

...for those who might recall the tag line/catch phrase associated with the Atlanta newspaper that claimed to 'cover Dixie like the dew'. I have not quite done that, but have made some tracks in the past two days. Driving to Decatur, then SC and back again.

I spent the night on Thursday in Decatur, visiting with daughter, bunny, cats, dogs, chickens and a small fish. Was lead astray at a Mexican food restaurant where we had margaritas, then even more afield by watching a cheezy remake of a cheezy movie: Godzilla. It has a lot of amazing special effects, that does nothing to change the fact that the plot is so ridiculously crazie as to be absurd... though probably no worse that most of the other things out there we pay to see and then wonder 'what was I thinking?'

Got up early on Friday to drive up to SC for a visit with my pen pal. Mr. Homer is 92 years old, and seems to be in remarkable health for some who is so close to enjoying a century of life. Pretty spry, and really interesting to spend time with. Then I went south a bit, to visit with a cousin I grew up with, who is employed by a small independent college near-by. Spent the night, then got up to drive back home, hoping to arrive in time to go to a garden party.

Since I have never had an' invite' to a garden party before, it seemed like something that would be worth the effort. It was designed to be a gathering of adult Girl Scouts, people who are interested enough to devote time to being encouragers and supporters of scouting goals. I'd made cookies, as my commitment to helping make the event a success. And delivered the cookies before I left town on Thursday, to get them out of my life and assure they would make it to the party. I got back to town this morning, just in time to head over to the back yard of the hostess.

Where the attendees were eating goodies under shade trees in the cool, grassy back yard. The hostess has a neighbor who is the owner of a garden shop. The garden shop guy agreed to help the group plant some annuals in plastic containers to make colorful assorted arrangements to take home. With proceeds going to provide scholarships for young women in scouting  A good day to be out in the sunshine, enjoying the weather, for a good cause.  I took a pass on the container planting, as I have several large pots that need my attention here - though now I think: should have taken my pots to fill with the colorful, mixed annuals for summer smiles.

Not doing any planting at the event caused me to stop by Kmart looking for red geraniums. Which I did not find, but 'accidently' bought more asparagus plants that I need to get in the ground ASAP.  Plus some summer bloomers I will put in those neglected pots that have shabby pansies lingering in them. So I'm done with this, to go out and putter in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment