Sunday, May 24, 2015

talking to a friend...

... a person who worked as a cashier for a number of years at my workplace, and recently retired. She was in the store yesterday, I stopped to speak to her for a few minutes. Oddly, I had just been thinking of her, telling myself that I should run by Taco Bell one day, and get a sack of eats to just go and knock on her door say' Let's do Lunch' in your back yard!

I've had lunch with her (at the Bell) a time or two since she quit working, and really enjoy her company. She was struggling with some health issues, having problems with standing on her feets for eight hours as a cashier, that caused her to decide the misery was not worth the pay. And has apparently been enjoying having all the time in the world to putter around her house and yard. Cleaning out closets, attic, planting things  - those things all of us would do if we had leisurely life day after day.

She also said that her adult children had come to visit on Mother's Day weekend. Not planned, just happened. Neither the son or the daughter knew/expected their sibling to show up - it just all fell into place by accident. And she was delighted. No grandchildren, no spouses, no in-laws. Just her favorite people. I told her: 'I know. I really know exactly how you feel.' I don't think anything in this life pleases me any more than getting together with my family, and nothing is more better than having a meal together: for us to all sit down around a table and enjoy each other's company. Eat and laugh...

My friend, L. said she found it to be so gratifying, she asked them if they would find time to do it intentionally in the future. To set aside a weekend to deliberately plan to be together. One coming up from FL, the other from the northeast corner of TN, just to spend time with each other. That sounds like my kind of joy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment