Monday, May 4, 2015

it was surprising...

... to see about fifteen things that are on my list of volunteer activities, thus far. When I started writing down each of the different organizations that have benefited from time donations over the years. Some of them I am no longer actively involved in, and some I do on a regular basis. Everything from helping four year olds improve their literacy skills to working in the secret garden at a local hospice-respite house.

The list making was due to reading a notice a couple of weeks ago in a company publication. Reporting about a store manager I worked under some years ago, receiving an award for  community service. I wrote about how devoting time to volunteerism means taking that time away from family. Everything is ultimately a choice about how we decide to spend minutes hours and days. This guy was obviously prepared to devote/donate a big chunk of his life to activities outside of his family.  I have to wonder if the family, wife and kids, were consulted about his decision to spend time like this. It's not likely that there was any democracy in action. And though I am all for volunteerism, and deliberately, willing give my time in service, have to think: there are always consequences - when you take time to do 'x', it is likely that 'y' will suffer as a result due to some degree of neglect. How do you strike a reasonable balance?

I was a bit surprised to see how extensive my list is. Adding an occasional organization as I think about something else I have invested myself in over the years. And now wondering where this willingness to give away bits and pieces came from? I don't recall my parents being especially devoted to community welfare. I know my dad was involved in some service clubs that men will often join, and do good for the betterment of others. But other than attending/involvement in church activities almost every time the doors were opened (pretty much the only thing to do in a small town!), I don't have much memory of parents participating in activities aimed at civic well-being. 

I got plenty of church-ing as a kid, between time spent with the Baptists and going with cousins to be indoctrinated in Methodism, with an occasional dose of Presbyterianism from grandmother Rosa. But I cannot recall, while I was old enough to be aware, and still living at home, my parents being active in clubs or service based activities that were not church related. So I have to wonder: why am I? I guess just a way to show thankfulness? Appreciation for all the blessings of daily life? Just wondering...how one ends up giving away time, donating of oneself to fund the greater good...?

No comments:

Post a Comment