Thursday, May 7, 2015

cinco de mayo... cha, cha, cha...

...yes, I know it's toooo late to be celebrating. So that isn't happening here on a Thursday afternoon, two days post-fifth. But it was such a pleasant day, with beautiful weather, and enjoyable company, I wanted to tell about our little field trip.

The daughter who is out for a week of summer vacation let me invite myself to come up and spend the day on Tuesday. I wish we could have really celebrated, doing something appropriate at an exotic locale in honor of Mexican independence - like help them drink up all that Corona and Tequila. But since I was driving to and from the city on that day, that sort of amusement was out of the realm of possibility.

We did plant some things in her yard: daisies I had put in pots several weeks ago, and some coreopsis I pulled up the night before and stuffed in a plastic shopping bag. Plus several pots jammed full of bulb plants that were rescued from certain death. Then we went on our little field trip: to the Decatur campus of Perimeter College.

Where we saw a gazillion ferns. That make me smile, when I see the fronds slowly unfurling, with fiddleheads meticulously opening to turn into amazing leaves. I had read something about this garden spot, and understood a retired science professor from the college continues to work diligently to develop and add to the space. He has travelled extensively, and brought ferns back from all over the planet and propagated with help from botany student volunteers.  There is also a large area  planted exclusively in native blooming plants. Tidy rock bordered beds, neatly mulched and organized.  Many of which looked very familiar, because they are commonly found in medians, right-of-way plantings and ditches all over the south. Where most people would probably classify them as weeds. But here, in this well tended, watered, space with signs to identify each one, they are 'native' plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment