Tuesday, May 26, 2015

this is something ....

...that has  not happened before. You will probably think: ho-hum, so what? But it is a novelty for me and after recent occurrances in my job, sort of surprising that there has not been an uproar, some sort of brouhaha about what's going on.

I went in really early (5 a.m.) on Saturday morning to help with prep. stuff for a busy day in the produce department. The big deal for nearly two weeks has been a BOGO/buy-one-get-one with fresh cut, sweet, juicy ripe red watermelon chunks. And there is such a demand, it takes several people to get it done from one day to the next - not really getting ahead, just staying caught up. When it's in season, there is not much better that locally grown south Georgia watermelons.

It was nearly five o'clock in the afternoon before I left the store, meaning that other than a thirty minute break to sit down and eat some lunch, I was on my feets for nearly twelve hours. And oddly enough, when you are busy and occupied, you don't realize how tired you are until it's over. So I did not feel weary until I started home, and nearly could not get out of the car to walk in the house to flop down.

I'd told the boss I would come in early on Saturday to try to get ahead on fresh salads, but never got around to doing it. So I said I would come in early on Sunday and get it done before the store opened. Meaning I was there again at 5 a.m. Doing what I intended to do the day before. Another looong day.

The really interesting part - that has never happened to me before: I had over half a week on the time clock even though I had only worked two days. Which means this will be a short work week for me. Short, as in getting it over sooner, but better pay-wise than the usual twenty or so hours that normally accrue for me as a part-time worker. And a decent paycheck will be nice after being disciplined and sent home to ponder my poor behavior the week before.

No comments:

Post a Comment