Wednesday, May 13, 2015

cookin' at home: peanut butter cookies, chess squares, banana bread...

...all tasty things to eat. It started with someone bringing in some very ripe bananas, and saying: 'hmmm, looking like it might be time to make banana bread'. Other than milkshakes, I don't know of anything else you can do with over-ripe bananas except to leave them out for the butterflies at Callaway Gardens Day Center where the tropical insects love to land and feed of nasty looking fruit. I got up this morning with the intention of making a couple of loaves - then discovered the recipe calls for two eggs and I only had one, then discovered the one in the fridge was cracked, so I actually had none. 

Needing a couple of other things at the grocery I went for eggs. Got the banana bread stirred up and in the oven, and started on Chess Bars. I had agreed to make a pan of these yummy dessert-y things for  garden party on Saturday. I continue to waffle about going, but promised to make the goodies, so I got that done after the banana bread came out of the oven. The stirred up a batch of peanut butter cookies. Actually a double batch, making enough to share around and have some to take to the party.

The Party on Saturday is a gathering that will be a benefit for Girl Scouts. Adult alumni are invited to come and make/fill a planter, with assistance from a local garden shop. The shop will provide all the makings: container, soil, seasonal bloomers, advice and donate the cost, to provide scholarships for scouts. I'm not itching to have another planter needing attention in my life, but will probably go just to be supportive of their goals. And take my goodies, now that I have baked and sampled, to keep me from eating all this stuff by myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment