Saturday, May 30, 2015

mildly amusing and entertaining....

... was Friday, when I got up early to drive to Decatur and spend the day with my daughter. In her temporary, part-time summer employment she really lucked up this week: off for Memorial Day, and off on alternate Fridays, so it was a three day work week. Sounds good to me! I'd put in so many hours earlier in the week (that for some obscure reason starts on Saturday) I had Thursday and Friday off.

Had a couple of things on my calendar for Thursday: a lunch to say farewell to the county agent who is leaving her job in Muscogee to go to one with much less stress and pressure in Russell County, AL. It will also mean she has a five minute commute, and will have much more time to be a mom to young family. She's been the guiding light and propelling force behind  a large cadre of Master Gardeners. People who have the knowledge and experience to take a number of projects on that beautify, enhance and support lots of community activities. All trained by the County Agent to whom we said 'don't go!' at a potluck lunch.

Got some forsythia dug before dark on Thursday, to put in a big trash bag and take to plant in the back yard in Decatur. That will hopefully grow and create a sort of screen across the fence where the chickens live. The plants are pretty tough/hardy and with occasional watering should take hold and do well, there in the semi-shaded space, provided the dogs don't unearth them. I had also offered to bring some coreopsis, a little yellow daisy-like bloomer that has taken over in my front bed. But I forgot to dig on Thursday evening, so I was out there in the dark, wearing my camping head-lamp, pulling up plants and stuffing them in a plastic shopping bag, looking seriously suspicious in the early morning. Skulking around in the dark, hunched over looking like a creeper in the flower bed....

I had planned/hoped to leave home by 5 a.m., to get into town before traffic got awful. And arrived right about 7, early enough for most of the gazillion commuters to be still brushing teeth, trying to get kids organized and not yet creating congestion on the interstate. We had a good day, spent the morning with a one and a three year old, hanging around while the mom went to work. Mostly unproductive, except for me getting the plants in the ground. And went to eat Mexican with cuzzin.

Got home about ten o'clock and went right to bed. To get up and go to work on Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment