Friday, January 9, 2015

what she wrote...

...when I opened the email: "One of my helpers just came in the back door...and I looked disappointed. She asked what was wrong, and I told her every time the back door opens, I'm just chronically optimistic that something wonderful is about to happen. I'm disappointed by anyone who doesn't have a balloon bouquet."  Which says to me, she is always expecting a circus, complete with dancing ladies, elephants with painted toenails and clown cars to come rolling in the door.

So I had to wonder where that  'chronic optimism' could have come from? My immediate response was that it did not come from the guy who can sit here in the recliner with the remote in hand for hours on end, and stew about what sort of weather is brewing several states to the west. I have been completely baffled in recent years to discover myself married to someone who constantly worries about things he cannot control. Especially while being so remarkably unconcerned with things he does have the power to alter.

Though it may not be entirely appropriate, I would now like to give myself a large portion of the credit for these people who seem to have such good attitudes. They do have sense enough to come in out of the rain, or at least try to be prepared for weathering bad times. Literally and figuratively.
I believe they have the emotional stamina and resources to live happy, successful lives. And an abundance of basic common sense to avoid problematic situations. Ability to come in out of the bad weather. And from a safe vantage point, enjoy the perverse beauty of the storm, as the lighting demonstrates the powerful forces of nature.  While waiting for the thunderclouds to disperse, with the promise of the rainbow that will glow brilliantly in ROYGBIV-fashion in the mist when the sun shines through.

Chronic optimism: not such a bad way to live. They did love the 'Annie' musical when they were small, watching it over and over. You know: "the sun'll come out tomorrow, tomorrow...."

1 comment: