Thursday, January 1, 2015

happy new year...

...fairly accurately describes my own personal new years' resolution. Just to focus on being more content with the circumstances of life. To do less complaining about things I have no control over. Plus being more willing to speak up and attempt to alter events, situations that I can impact.  As opposed to discussing to death instead of actually making the effort to confront and be the instigator of change.

I remember as a youngster, times when my mom would insist that family members would write a List of Resolutions on January 1. I have no more recall of those particular items than anything I would have put in a Letter to Santa. Safe to assume they were fairly lame, along the lines of cleaning my room, or sweeping the kitchen. (The same list of things I need to be doing today!) Meaning my plans were so unmemorable that there was no commitment or sense of change to go along with the well intentioned list.  She had my brother and I sit and read our proposed improvements aloud at a meal. I do not have any remembrance of parents doing the same, so it was possibly her desire for the two of us to embark on a self-improvement plan to ultimately become better citizens of the world? Hmmm.... I'm thinking that proposal probably didn't even make it through the end of the month!

When I was out walking in the park with my friend yesterday, I told her about my desire to make a deliberate effort to focus on the positive things in my life. To devote less time and effort on the things I have no ability to seriously impact. Asking her to help me to be more mindful, tell me to 'let go' of situations that I am only griping about, and not actually doing anything to alter outcome. So we will see how well I can hold that thought, and pursue the higher road of releasing the little annoyances and aggravations of daily life...

No comments:

Post a Comment