Friday, January 30, 2015

on this fine winter day...

.. a bit windy, but bright and sunny and pleasant, I was out walking. Time on my hands, plus trying to walk several miles every day I am not on my feets in the retail world. When out there on the north side of town, in the shopping area, with lots of well known stores from Haverty's Furniture to Hobby Lobby.  Nearly a mile from one to the other, along the strip where places like Old Navy, Sears, BedBath&Beyond, eateries, multiplex movie theaters are located.

While I was burning calories, and putting in the time, I encountered a friend who is on staff at church. With his wife and two small blond girls. One of the little ones had some birthday money so they were headed towards Toys-R-Us. We stopped and spoke on the side walk, in front of the store, and I told them: about how my girls, when little, would beg to go to there. Not especially to make a purchase, but to look at Barbies. Hold, admire, inspect every Barbie in the store. Willing to devote hours to all the Barbie accessories ever invented. Houses, cars, boy-friends, little sisters - all things Barbie. I would agree to go, and just getting in the store must have been it's own reward. I don't recall being pestered to make a purchase, though I am sure if they had money to spend, it quickly evaporated once we got in the store.

What I do remember is being so unwilling to go, and devote my time to the interminable wait while they lusted after all things Barbie that it was a huge deal when we went. And only if I had something to read to stave off boredom. So I could sit, on that hard linoleum floor, and read my book. While away the time while they were completely engrossed in examining every outfit of every color, and every imaginable accessory stamped with Barbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment