Tuesday, January 13, 2015

walkin'...to the Walk Inn...

...to my Christmas present. That will occur in late March: a sleep over at the Len Foote Hike Inn, located in Amicalola State Park in northeast Georgia. A gift I am so excited about. I've been wanting to go for years, talking occasionally with family about taking the time to make the trip. But not being specific enough to get a commitment. Generating enthusiasm in a non-committal sort of way. So we have reservations for one night, and definite plans to go.

Kinda worrisome, though, as I was equally enthused about the idea of hiking up Mt. LeConte in North Carolina three years ago. As well as thoroughly intimidated at the prospect of walking up hill all day long, for six (or was it eight) tedious, rough, rocky miles. We'd planned a route that was not so incessantly steep, but a bit longer, to allow for an easier ascent. Now I know: There Is No Easy Way.

I have been practicing. When we went to Mt. LeConte, it was in the summer, so I was getting up early in the mornings, and walking two or three miles in the neighborhood, and trying to make myself go back out in the buggy,  muggy late afternoon heat to walk more. Enough to accumulate four or five miles a day - mostly proving to myself it was do-able. I survived, but had already figured out by the time I got to the top, once was enough. Not something I needed to repeat.

I think this one will be more towards the 'fun' end of the scale. Not as steep, meaning not a continual, seemingly endless slope. Probably not as rocky, and certainly not as long. I understand the entire length of this one is five miles. Which means: if I can do four or five miles a day, walking around here, where it is generally flat, I don't think I will have a problem with the walk in the woods in March. Even though the goal is the Inn: comfy beds, good food, peaceful night in the woods, it won't be as exhaustingly steep and rocky, so hopefully I will enjoy both the going and the getting there.

Go to amicacoloafallslodge.com where you can see photos of the highest cascading waterfall in the southeastern US. I'm excited about going, even though I am sincerely hoping I do not have to climb those steps to get to the top of the falls, where the path begins, before I actually start the hiking part.

No comments:

Post a Comment