Sunday, January 18, 2015

my mother's sister's ...

...son's daughter, who would be my cousins' niece, and maybe my second cousin? Or once-removed? Anyway, she has been in South Africa for a year, where she went upon gaining admission in a university and a student visa. For whatever reason, she did not follow through with the educational plan. But apparently thought: 'now that I am here, I might as well stay'. Left here back in January, and just now, a year later returned. To ATL where she will stay a couple of days, visit her auntie and cousin who live there, then head on to Denver where her parents live.  Her ultimate goal is to find employ in the cinema industry.

She has worked on a number of movies, living out in the northwest US, possibly Portland? Spent some time there in the industry, so when she relocated to Georgia, she had a union card and was ready to find work here. Where she lived for a couple of years, before deciding to pursue education. I got a couple of long (hand-written!) letters from South Africa, telling about her days and life there, doing some writing, sight-seeing, making friends.

I am going to Decatur this afternoon, to see the relatives and have dinner. Got up in the wee hours to cook the squash for a casserole, after making a (requested) peanut butter pie last night. Driving up to my daughter's, who will go with me over to the cousins' where we will share a meal.  We will talk, listen to tales of South Africa, eat too much and laugh a lot.

The thing I was thinking when I was puttering around the kitchen in my robe this morning is about mothers. What a wonderful time my mom and her sister would have at a gathering like this. Seeing all those amazing young adults. Spending time with those smart, capable, successful young women who are so interesting, interested in life, and looking into the future. The people of that previous generation, my mother and aunt would be so delighted to know, see, enjoy these remarkable people.

No comments:

Post a Comment