Sunday, January 4, 2015

travelin'...

...from one side of GA to the other. Got up Friday morning early and drove to Decatur. Spending most of the day on Eleanor Street, just puttering. The weather was wet and cold and yuck, so the dogs did not get walked. We took some stuff to donate to the Salvation Army, with plans to go to lunch a little country cooking café nearby. When the closet-cleaner-outer saw the servers at the café wearing cute colorful aprons, she went back to the Salvation Army donation site to reclaim a bag of aprons she meant to give. And donated to the delighted women who work at the café instead. They were wearing brightly printed, frou-frou'ed up aprons when we left. Delighted with their new attire. To the point of making the guy who was bussing tables put on a frilly apron.

Drove up to SC, to visit cousin E.,and spend the night.  A good visit, a good meal (it's always good when someone else is cooking!), and a good night's sleep.  Went to visit my pen pal who lives in Greenville. I try to get up to see him once a month, and had not been in December, due to letting the month get away from me. A confession: I always try to be nearly out of gas when I got to SC, to buy it there much cheaper than the high-tax cost in GA. Even though the price has been going down for months, I was surprised to see it under $2 when I crossed the state line. I usually stop at a Quick Trip convenience store near Anderson and buy, but found some that was (don't hate me): $1.79 near Greenville.

Went back to Decatur on Sat. aft. to spend the night with cousin F. She and a friend usually go to a movie on Saturday night, so I had invited myself to go with them. "The Imitation Game" - about the group of British mathmeticians who designed the first computer to break the codes in the Nazi Enigma machine during WW II.  A really good, thoughtful, interesting story, but a pretty sad ending for the leader of the group. He was so smart he could not function well in society, and would have probably been diagnosed with some degree of autism if he had been born fifty years later.

I knew when I left home on Friday morning I had to work today.  I had set my alarm to get up at 6, but the thunderstorm that rolled in rattled the windows and shook the entire neighborhood so badly, I woke up at 5:30. Laid there for half an hour, warm and snug not wanting to get in motion. But got up at 6 to drive back to Columbus in the pouring rain. I have it programmed into my brain to think I can get from Decatur to Columbus in 90 minutes. But I was on the north side of town, and driving slower in all the downpour, sloppy weather,flooded city streets awash in water. So it took me 2 1/2 hours to get back to town.

I dashed in the door, changed to work clothes and went to church for 45 minutes. Then on to work. Thankful that I got to see so many folks I wanted to spend some time with, and thankful to be safely home.

No comments:

Post a Comment