Friday, August 22, 2014

what's cookin'?

... a recipe from south Georgia. I know the origin, because the 'title' on the card I found in my file is for 'Ocean Pond Tomato Casserole'. Ocean Pond, a well known fishing and eating spot in the far reaches of Lowndes County, is located just about as far south as you can go without being in FL. Plus it's in my mom's handwriting. So we can assume it was printed in the local newspaper, and such a well known, well loved, tasty dish, it was in great demand all over south GA.

I need something to take to a monthly pot-luck supper. In perusing recipes, looking for something tasty and relatively easy (perhaps I have those two adjectives in reverse order?), I thought this would be good for a make and take. Just a few ingredients, and for the person who rarely eats animals, a good filling all-vegetable dish that might provide leftovers for another meal or two.

Now that the decision for what to prepare has been reached, I think I might go ahead and make double. To leave one at home for the guy who won't be going to pot-luck, but likes to eat on a regular basis.  Along with a little ham steak and a couple of biscuits: there's a meal!

Ocean Pond Tomato Casserole

1 can Hunt's special tomato bits and pieces,  un-drained
1 can (1 lb.) diced tomato, including liquid in can
1/3 cup diced bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. sugar (I used splenda instead)
3 slices bread, crumbed

Mix all ingredients, saving a bit of bread crumbs for topping. Cook for 30 min. in 350 oven, uncovered. Sprinkle with reserved bread crumbs, and cheese, if desired. Bake 20 min. more.

Confessions: I did not measure, but diced up a large bell pepper, two onions, two stalks of celery, to make two separate casseroles. Put two cans of diced tomato (whatever spices/flavorings strike your fancy/tastebuds) in the dish, add the diced veg. plus crumbs, etc. All kinds of yummy things come in the can with diced tomatoes anymore: garlic, rosemary, basil: your choice for deliciousness.




No comments:

Post a Comment