Sunday, August 3, 2014

perhaps I'm not...

... quite as brave as I would lead you to believe. I recently reported being unflinching when picking up live, wiggling millipedes as they inch across the kitchen floor. That is true: I have done it just today, to nearly a dozen that have already been put in the trash. But there is apparently a wuss still residing in this body.

When I got ready to get in the shower, I have learned to pull the curtain back and check for living things. I often find a millipede in there. No, I can't explain it either. But it happens. Or maybe a granddaddy long legs spider. So I know to check before I turn on the water. Today: there was a living spider, causing me to say 'eep'. I pondered going to get a plastic cup to capture it with a sheet of paper. But I decided to attempt pick up with a bit of toilet paper first. I nearly made it to the outside door before it fell out, when there was a big 'yipe'. Fortunately close enough that it dashed on out, so there was no chasing with the broom.

Just a bit of transparency here: I can and will pick up a granddaddy long legs, but not the short-legged ones that can be deadly. I did  not stop to ask the one in the tub this  morning what sort it was, so just to be safe did not want to make contact that might bring about a bite. I know people who have had long hospital stays, painful recoveries and skin grafts as a result of poisonous spider bits, and do not want anyone telling stories like that about me.  That's not the kind of 'near death experience' I want to be writing about!

No comments:

Post a Comment