Saturday, August 2, 2014

CG farm market...

I got a call several days ago, from the education department at Callaway Gardens. They were apparently under-manned for help with the Friday afternoon Farmer's Market, and needed another body to assist with sales. I knew I had to work, but agreed to show up by five o'clock to be helpful, in a marginal sort of way.  Mostly just standing around, greeting people as they walk by, and offering plastic bags for them to put their goods in. Two other volunteers, plus an employee who handled the money exchanging.

As it turned out with my employment, I was so close to having forty hours, the boss made me leave early, so I had several hours at my disposal in the afternoon. Leaving me time to make a run to Sams Wholesale to do the church shopping I had failed to do in a timely manner. I got coffee supplies and delivered to the church, with enough time to go home and change into cooler attire.

Drove up to CG in plenty of time to help with set up for market, awaiting the delivery of fresh produce. We had corn, okra, butterbeans, a variety of hot peppers, rattlesnake beans (?). The other volunteers said the quantity was a bit lean, but assumed it is getting towards the end of the season for garden production. People kept asking for fresh tomatoes, but I guess the crop is over there in Mr. Cason's garden. And I don't think they ever had peaches, though someone said there was a vendor there near the beach, under a little canopy who was selling them earlier in the summer.

I bought a little bag of tiny okra pods, with plans to look for 'how to' and roast them in the oven. Reportedly very tasty.  I discovered years ago how yummy they are steamed, just barely cooked, still a little crisp, and lightly buttered and salted. You have to have young, small pods that are still tender - oh, my goodness. Maybe I will steam them after all... The man who lives here loves anything fried, which I have not done in years. I don't want to eat fried stuff, and especially don't want to clean up the mess stove-top frying makes, so that's not an option. But I have had some that is passable sliced and cornmeal-ed and cooked in the oven. I'm just not wasting my fifty cents worth of wee okra pods on that...

No comments:

Post a Comment