Friday, August 1, 2014

the 'ick' factor...

... has profoundly diminished at my house. I find I have no qualms about picking up a millipede as it is scooting (they are so small and move so slow - at tiptop speed for a bug, I am sure!) along the kitchen floor. Historically - I would rush to get the broom and dustpan to pick it up and deposit in the trash. But lately, I just lean over and pinch my fingers together, and drop it in any nearby recepticle.  Which might be a trash can, or the toilet or just toss it back out the door.

There was a time, when this crazy invasion started, that I would not consider touching one of these little creepy crawlers. But that is history. I am so tired of finding them roaming around on the floor, mostly kitchen, but occasionally bedrooms or tile in bath, that I just pinch them and relocate to some place else. I probably picked up a dozen yesterday, when I stayed at home in the morning and got the kitchen swept and mopped. And half that many this morning, when I have to go to work. I expect there are more, I just don't have the time to devote to ending their dull little lives.

I hope it will end with cold weather, but that is months away. So I will continue to pick them up and trash or drown as needed. I never have figured out where they originate, or how they get in the house, what it is about the kitchen floor that is so attractive? I have found them occasionally live, but mostly curled up in a little spiral, crunchy at the other end of the house. When they have been on explorations and deceased in the far reaches of the bedrooms - a millipede's definition of the Outer Limits?

No comments:

Post a Comment