Thursday, August 28, 2014

gone but not forgotten...

...is the title of the article I read recently in the magazine printed by the Nature Conservancy. I think someone sold my info. as I seem to be on lots of mailing lists for environmental organizations. They all send calendars this time of year, with little postage paid envelopes, hoping I will want to make a donation. Which, in turn, will invariably cause them to send more requests for my financial assistance.

The article I read in the August-September issue of the Conservancy magazine was about passenger pigeons. Just a little blurb to remind us it has been 100 years since the last pigeon, who was, I think named Martha, breathed her last breath. I read some where that they once were so plentiful and flocked in such massive numbers they would literally blot out the sun when they took off.

The article wanted to bring attention to the fact that the demise of the passenger pigeons was due entirely to humans: a prime example of man thinking there is no end to natural resources? There is a man named Andy Stern who has developed a project to raise awareness about this human-caused extinction. He wants to get us to make one million origami pigeons (see a template at foldtheflock.org). The Smithsonian Natural History museum and Chicago Academy of Sciences is involved in promoting educational aspects of  this project. I assume there is something on the site that directs us where we could/should mail our home-made pigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment