Friday, August 22, 2014

another majik mox...(on the way, with recipe)



Though I have found it to be quite amusing, I have not been consistent with sending surprise packages to TN. Not dutifully looking for interesting recipes, or doing the shopping, to say nothing of paying the postage to ship boxes with canned good. Foolish to pay ten bucks to ship five dollars worth of food? Well, yes. But amusing,  none the less.

I have just let it get lost in the shuffle lately. Though I know the recipient is a busy person, who often works long hours, and often not planning ahead for an evening meal. I have a Southern Living book, borrowed from a friend, that has lots of easy recipes for hurried/harried cooks to slap a meal together based on what's in the cupboards.  And always on the look out when I sit in waiting rooms, reading old magazines for a casserole, or one pot dinners that sound tasty and simple, with relatively few ingredients.

The man at the postoffice took the box on Monday, and assured me it would be it delivered to Chattanooga by Thursday. So I 'll write about it, and wait to publish until after it arrives, so it will be fun to peek in the mailbox to see what's there. Same sort of thing that continues to motivate me to do all that corresponding, because I know what a happy little surprise it is to open the mail box and find a card or letter, whether the news enclosed is trivial or not.

When I put stuff together in the box (including a $10 BI-LO gift card to purchase the fresh produce I could not ship), I decided to add a little can of ham, for the guy who would likely not think too highly of a meatless meal. At my house, I would probably add some hamburger or browned sausage crumbles to the pan, after I had dipped out enough to make a meal for myself.

Mediterranean Pasta with Zucchini
(prep. time 13 min.)

8 oz. penne or ziti pasta, uncooked
1 - 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, oregano
1 - 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1 medium zucchini
2 Tbs. sliced ripe olives

Cook pasta according to directions, omitting salt and fat.
While pasta cooks, combine tomatoes and remaining three ingredients in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for five minutes. Spoon mixture over tender, drained pasta. Makes 4 (two cup) servings. The additional info. printed on that same page in the cookbook, designed to make this a complete meal, suggests serving with pita bread and fresh pears.

I have not actually made it, but thinking I will do it for supper tonight, and add a bit of meat to his part. I usually have some cooked hamburger in the freezer, but noticed 'veggie crumbles' in frozen section at the grocery yesterday, so might try to slip some of that in instead of animal.

PS: the box arrived in TN on Thursday, so I knew it was time to post the blog to share and not reveal a surprise. She said they might have it for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment