Friday, August 1, 2014

Vidalia Onion pie...

... courtesy of Muvy. I ate some a couple of years ago at a church pot-luck event, and demanded to know who brought that tasty dish. I asked for the recipe, surprised to find the casserole dish had been brought by the grandma of a friend of P.

When I eat something really yummy, that my taste buds cannot quite figure out, I know there is surely some 'secret ingredient' that makes it unique. You will be surprised by the 'secret' of this recipe, but if you are willing to assemble the ingredients, you will find it likely find yourself addicted. Too bad there is such a short time to enjoy Vidalia onions. So I guess I should go ahead and tell you: it is just as good using the plain old yellow ones, you buy in the three pound mesh bag... you'll just have to call it something else!

Onion Pie

1/4 cup unsalted butter
7 or 8 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut in chunks, separated
1/2 cup uncooked rice
5 cups boiling water
1 cup grated cheese
2/3 cup milk

Melt butter in large skillet. Saute onions. Cook rice in boiling water, five min. Drain rice well. Stir in onions, cheese and milk. Season as desired. Turn into shallow two quart baking dish. Cook at 350 for one hour.

I absolutely positively do not eat raw onions, but think this dish is delish. I guess the 'insurance' of having the onions cooked twice and thoroughly 'done' makes it ok. I generally go to great lengths to avoid accidently putting a raw piece of onion in my mouth. Constantly asking waitstaff to be sure the onions do not get on my salad, and requesting the strongly flavored vegetables be left in the kitchen. So it is sort of surprising that I find this so good. If you have leftovers, please give me a call?

No comments:

Post a Comment