Sunday, February 17, 2019

trying to leave...

... early from work today, with no success. I'm not sure that the experience could be described as the opposite of success, which would be 'failure', as it was a productive day. But from the standpoint of that plan to exit before the scheduled time - it did not happen as expected. In fact, by the time I got out the door and headed across the parking lot, it was nearly an hour past my official 'go' time.

It was a good day, even though longer than it should have been. Half of the day was spent doing the work I signed on to do years ago, but rare is the opportunity to get any floral stuff done. Even though the schedule often has me working on the days my co-worker is off, many of those days seem to get so swamped with production: making salads or prepping stuff in the produce dept. Those few days when there is time for being creative are so uncommon as to be amazingly scarce. Thus today was a better than average day.

The plan for leaving early was due to my desire to drive to Atlanta for a birthday party at the Varsity. Well known local landmark that serves the greasiest fries in town, along with chili dogs and fried apple pies. None of which I had plans to consume, intending to take a green salad and avoid all the fatty stuff on the menu. Sadly, I accidentally ate an apple pie. It was maybe a 3.5 on a 1-10 scale. The filling seemed to be the consistency of applesauce. I won't make that mistake again.

The birthday girl is 94. Family and friends gathered to celebrate with Varsity food and chocolate topped cupcakes. And more celebrating tomorrow, which is the actual birth date. Sad to think she probably will not remember any of the fun she had today, as she had a stroke just over a year ago, and her short term memory is nearly non-existent. But there is always more fun to be had on the morrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment