Monday, February 4, 2019

after work...

... I came straight home and took a nap. Then I got up and went out in the yard to dig holes and plant some neglected bulbs. There are at least one hundred planted tonight that were not there earlier today. I am so excited, and ready for them to all pop up out of the dark and burst into bright yellow blooms!
Yay for daffodils!

The ones I planted that were purchased several weeks ago came from Tractor Supply. Whereupon I received a call to make an emergency trip to the farm store to buy daffodils before they all disappeared. I've been trying in the intervening weeks to get them in the ground,  knowing it was imperative I get serious about planting: even going to the  plant nursery to find a bag of the fertilizer that is  precisely, specifically formulated to provide the best nutrition for bulbs

These bulbs that have been siting in my carport look remarkably like those three pound bags of onions I would bring home from the grocery.  In a red mesh bag, with a tag indicating the contents were similar to a King Alfred. But still looking so much like a person taking home a bag of vegetables, I have read tales of people who accidentally sliced up tulips and put them in the pot of soup or stew and fed them to dinner guests who showed up for a meal.

Though I have practically no practical knowledge about daffodils, I do recall that the variety know as King Alfred is one that produces spectacularly large blooms, with the classic look of cup and saucer, both clearly defined. Some have more of a frilly look in the 'cup' part, some multi-colored in shades of red or orange, but I am expecting mine, after being diligently fed with the bulb booster chemicals, to put on a fine show of gigantic yellow flowers that will make me smile when I turn into my driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment