Saturday, February 16, 2019

mystery man...

... was who my co-worker thought I was having lunch with on Friday. I said when I went in at 6 am, that I had some place to be at noon, so I would be finishing up and heading out the door around 11:30. She-who-loves-to-know asked me where I was going, and I said to a luncheon. She was not satisfied and wanted to know who I would be lunching with. Instead of telling her the short answer, she got the long one.

Explaining about how when my daughters were small, beginning to go out into the world to interact with other people when their mother was not always present, they were being trained to be truthful. I told them they should always make an effort to be honest, because it is the right thing to do. Plus when you start with fibbing it is hard to keep your stories straight, so just easier to always be the one who is being straightforward. Then you have no problem remembering what you told to who, and which falsehood was left where.

BUT: it is not necessary to tell everything you know. You can keep information to yourself, and not be a blabbermouth. Be honest, but have some discretion, as you do not have to volunteer information that no one needs to know. You have good judgment, and it will improve, be honed over time. Just think before you open your mouth. One of them is much more adept than her sister at skirting the truth.

Then I told the co-worker that the rest of the story, having nothing to hide, even though she began to assume I was not going to reveal details of my lunch plans. Once a month with a group of women, most of whom have grey hair, some tottering along with canes or walkers, who gather at the Wynn House to enjoy a brief lecture on a variety of predetermined topics. Afterward, we move into the dining room for a prepared meal, served on china, with cloth napkins. Attractive seasonal centerpieces on a white table cloth, appropriate to current holidays or various occasions noted on the calendar.

I think she was seriously disappointed: a) that I told her the truth, and there was nothing illicit about my luncheon engagement, and b) they were all women, with fairly dull lives, knowing that the delicious lunch of hot chicken salad, green beans and homemade rolls was the highlight of their week.

Mystery man... as in: I do not know who the person was who cut up the tree blocking the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment