Wednesday, February 20, 2019

finding internet....

... that does not feel like highway robbery, those guys with dirty bandanas over their noses, brandishing six-shooters holding up the stage coach filled with terrified Aunt Bee-like passengers. When I discovered the statement for service from Mediacom could run as high as $400 a month, I knew that was not going to work for me. Especially due to the fact (embarrassing confession here) I cannot even turn the TV on. Not that I want to, as I long ago decided to not devote my time to the brain-eating, butt-numbing, time-consuming act of viewing. Yes, I am aware there is some really interesting programming out there, so it is possible the baby is being tossed out with the bathwater, but there is no place/time in my life to devote to flipping through dozens of channels/choices.

After being amazed, astounded, and horrified at the recent payments for accessing cable choices, the request was made to take the superfluous program options off. Hoping to whittle the next statement down to something more reasonable, within the parameters of resources available. I actually appeared in person at the store and made my plea, providing much more personal information than intended. When the most recent statement arrived last week, it was nearly twenty dollars more than the previous one that had all the bells and whistles, after my face-to-face request to whittle it down to 'basic'.  Arggggghhhhh....

The current bill was a stunner. About twenty dollars more than the one that nearly caused my eyeballs to fall out of my head a month ago. After a brief period of shouting four letter words, causing the air to turn blue as I was talking to myself, I called customer service. Politely explaining the dilemma to a very patient, helpful customer service rep., the request was made to completely eliminate any television service at all. You might recall the report of attempting to reduce the bill last year by changing to Direct TV? Now owned, I think by AT&T? The price was 'too good to be true'. When the installer came and reported he would have to put the dish on a post in the precise middle of the lawn, we both laughed heartily. Then said 'No, thank you'. So that is not an option.

Not only did the nice person who answered my call agree to cancel service, she also took nearly $100 off the bill, reducing the cost to just over $80, which still requires a bandana-trimmed, boot-wearing, bean-eating, campfire-sitting cowboy in my opinion. Because now service is only for internet, plus modem. I have discovered I can purchase a modem (but of course, I cannot install it!) instead of renting, paying month after month after  month to use one from Mediacom.

Do not come to my house expecting to watch the news or weather. You likely get all that on your phone anyway, but you most definitely will  not be enjoying viewing on the wide screen here. I have had the passing thought of getting rid of it completely, especially after a recent conversation with a friend who said she just bougth one after having her home be a tv-free zone for fifteen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment