Monday, February 11, 2019

foolishly, mistakenly...

... expecting that the visit I made to the Social Security office several weeks ago was sufficient to take care of all the questions, providing sufficient answers needed to make necessary changes. The first mistake was me thinking that dealing with any entity of the government would be easy, simple to accomplish and speedily resolved. Ha! Even though we are totally dependent on electronic devices to store information, and they actually have access to all the facts needed, they want more and more and more proof.

The letter came last Thursday. One of many form letters they gleefully generate on a daily basis, demanding  documents to prove my existence. They have all that, at their fingertips - waiting in where/how-ever data is stored out there in the galaxy or cloud as it floats around aimlessly, like alphabet pasta in vegetable soup. But they want me to prove my existence. Again. There are so many records that document me and all the minutiae of my life, it is very frustrating to be at the mercy of the system.

Foolish me, to think the time and trouble invested in going to the office several weeks ago would be sufficient to meet the ridiculous demands of their desire to make life difficult. I went with what I believed to be appropriate and sufficient paperwork, along with my book to take a number, sit and wait for my turn. Expecting at that time to have to justify, and provide convoluted, repeated explanations. Surprisingly: None needed. The man at the window, behind the shatterproof plastic, told me they already had all the information, and did not even want to make copies of my papers. Wow. He said everything was already in the system. I was amazed, astounded, astonished as well as delighted: no need to fret, or make another trip, wait in line again with additional documentation.

Foolish me: how silly to assume it would be that easy when I knew I was dealing with the US government. The letter that arrived last week demands I send three different documents. Not bring with me, but put in the mail, and hope they would be returned. Specifically demanding to see originals of the paperwork, not copies, but certified, notarized with raised seal originals. Do they really believe I will put these in the mail to Philadelphia and sit by with my hands in my lap, hoping they won't get lost in the USPS system? Another ha,ha,ha...

An amusing aside: there are three different people in the system with the same name, all related to me. He was so confused by those identical names, and struggled to understand that all those people are not me with three different birth dates. All he had to do was ask for my birth-date, but he sat there looking at the screen muttering to himself, baffled by all those females with identical names. The guys in my family are no better, even though there is some variation in the middle names, too many began with some derivative of Thomas. Fortunately I did not have to explain all the males as well.

I've looked up the hours the SS office here is open, and plan to be the first in line this morning. I have enough experience to know I need to take reading material: the current library book is already in the bag along with the papers. Even though I know for an absolute fact that all this information is already in their system, having previously submitted each of the forms myself over the years, I will submit. Do as instructed, and provide the forms requested. But I am  not putting stuff in the mail and spend weeks wondering which black hole it vanished into when the address on postage paid envelope wants me to think it would be delivered to Philadelphia.

I should have known it was too easy: when I went weeks ago, and the man said, "Oh, we don't need that information, it's all right here in the computer." Remember that old tired joke about the guy who knocks on your door and says "I'm from the IRS, and I'm here to help." Does that apply to Social Security as well? Yes, I think it should. Even though your first thought should be 'where's my gun', and the second:' run for the hills', you cannot win. You are outnumbered and they will track you, wear you down until you surrender the certified copy of your birth certificate...

No comments:

Post a Comment