Wednesday, February 20, 2019

finding internet, part 2...

...is part of the story that should have been written before part one, but since I only recently concluded that it is going to be a long sad tale, the beginning of that woeful tale never made it into print. It started weeks ago, when the statement for cell phone service arrived, and I decided to limit service to what I thought was reasonable. Not a huge agreement including all the add-ons available with cell service. Roaming is nice, as is actually talking to people I want to communicate with. Paranoia is in order when you realize that the downside of roaming is satellites are tracking your every breath. Someone can follow your every move, purchase, interaction, trip to the bathroom as well as any illicit behavior should you happen to misbehave.

The idea of hanky-panky does not interest me in the least, but I do occasionally get paranoid about Big Brother knowing where I went and how long I stayed.  Basic, decent service.  I don't need to get email, or spend hours on facebook, or devote excessive time to googling or YouTube on a small screen. Just basic stuff, and minimal gigs - whatever gigs are. Decent service is all I am asking.

A trip to the AT&T store, weeks ago, to reduce service and eliminate things I do not use, want pay for. Then an inquiry about adding internet at home, as I know the providers like to make you think you are getting a great 'deal' when they can bundle, combine services on one statement. But wonder of wonder: when they looked up the address, reported they do not provide cable. Interestingly, their cell service out in our area has been shoddy and spotty for years. Making me wonder why the guy who was paying the  bill did not make any effort to shop around in an effort to get both a better price and more reliable service.

But knowing the parent company purchased the Dish company some years ago, makes me wonder? Asking several people who reported their cable was supplied by AT&T, makes me wonder? What is it about me that causes people to think I just fell off the turnip truck? You would think all the gray hair  would count for some degree of experience, right? Yes, I did grow up in south Georgia living on a dirt road, but don't the years and life-lessons-learned count for something?

No comments:

Post a Comment