Friday, February 22, 2019

in order to...

... avoid having to confess how long it has been since that kitchen floor was really cleaned I got up early this morning and swept and mopped.  Thereby allowing me to feel self-righteous and enjoy my sparkly spotless floor for at least a week. Partially due to the fact there is no one around who will spill stuff on it to create sticky spots from failure to take food to eat at the table like a civilized person. You would absolutely not believe how many dead ants I swept up, though I am thankful they all appear to be corpses, it is possible I am still providing the perfect environment for an ant colony.

The last time it got cleaned, it was what my mom would likely refer to as 'a lick and a promise', though I am not absolutely clear on what that means? I've always thought 'sort of half-arsed', doing the job in such a poor way that it would soon require a do-over. Swiffer is a poor excuse for cleaning, but will do in a pinch if you are desperate and short on time. I am not much fond of that short-cut method as those little wet mopping pads are so aggravating when they keep slipping off and you have to stop forty times to put it back on again. But a quick solution when time is of the essence.

It was a productive day. Floor swept and mopped.

Papers sorted to take to CPA for getting taxes done, though my expectation was I would still be organizing, shuffling papers into next week. I called to ask if I could drop by and leave it for him to look at, decide if I need to gather up other/different documentation. Hopeful I had everything necessary, and will not hear until it is time to sign. Not looking forward to having him say: 'Ready'.

I expect it will be a traumatic event when he calls: getting mentally prepared to pay a pile to satisfy both the state and Uncle Sam. When we filed last year, I should have gotten hundreds back in a refund from the state, but was told it would be applied to the amount we owed for federal. I was so thoroughly annoyed with the idea of letting my state refund roll over for satisfying Uncle Sam, I changed my withholding. Hoping to avoid that scenario again: if I did not have as much withheld, there would not be extra to dump into paying into federal coffers. Sadly, now it appears I might have shot myself in the foot with that ploy...since I will be the one paying the full amount.

Sounding like a good plan, but now I fear I will be paying both state and federal requirements, the price we pay for enjoying the benefits of being US citizens. Also supporting all those incarcerated behind bars for long sentences we will be required to feed, clothe, shelter, provide with free health care. It's the American Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment