Monday, February 4, 2019

back on the road...

... driving to south Georgia in the dark and early morning fog. As soon as I got underway, I turned on the radio to discover that there was dense low lying fog blanketing the southwest part of the state. Just my luck: the part I would be traveling. Dense was an understatement: it appeared to be the kind of thing that had the temperature been lower, it might be described as 'white out' conditions.

It took about an hour longer than usual to make the trip to Valdosta, as visibility was so poor I was not whizzing along at the usual rate of speed. I was concerned about wildlife, especially fleet-footed deer appearing as apparitions out of the nothingness along the highway. Causing me to be driving slower and with caution: something I do not usually observe, but prefer to toss it out the window and let it be buffeted by tail winds as I zip along.

The auntie has been in the hospital since last Saturday. I got a call from the residence where she lives reporting she was having trouble breathing, and was to be transported to the local ER. Where she was admitted to ICU, but soon relocated into a room on a floor with standard level of care. She has been an inpatient since the admitting occurred last weekend, but will soon be returned to the place where she started from. Going back to assisted living facility where she has been for nearly two years.

Nieces have been here with her the entire time, while she has been poked and prodded. Her health has declined to the point that is is not much awareness of the people in her presence or her surroundings. My goal is for her to be comfortable and well cared for. I believe the staff here has done an excellent job, and feel that the workers at the facility she will return to have done the same. h

Just had a long conversation with  hospice intake worker, and feel like things are coming together for return to the assisted living facility where she has been residing. Hopefully she will be relocated today, and be back in familiar environment with trusted and known caregivers today. I clearly recall my dad saying in the last months of his life, and have often quoted, though I know it is  not 'original' from his  mouth: "Old Age Ain't for Sissies".

No comments:

Post a Comment