Thursday, February 7, 2019

409 miles...

... when I drove from Decatur to Greenville SC and back to my starting point. Getting safely back home and falling into bed. I was typing 'crashing' as a reference to being so exhausted you can barely brush your teeth prior to head landing on pillow, but that implies I did not actually arrive back at the starting point intact. I did. Even though my brain was so weary I now  am amazed there was no report of an accident or call to 911 from some wooded ravine along the interstate highway.

Having not been to visit my pen pal since early November, I really wanted to go and spend the day. We never do anything worth reporting: sitting around talking, eating lunch, possibly wandering around in his yard looking at things growing. I have taken him a number of plants over the years: always try to have something in  my hand that he can enjoy seeing blooming. The last time, back in the fall, I took a pot of pansies, as I know they will survive the cold and be pretty with almost continuous blooms during the winter months.

Over the years as I have made that trip numerous times to spend the day, I've taken a number of amaryllis bulbs, that put a big show with gigantic red flowers after several weeks of nurturing. These he will eventually plant out in his yard where they will re-bloom year after year. This time I took a pot of hyacinth bulbs, found at Walmart, just barely peeking out of the dirt. These are reliable bloomers, and easy to plant afterward, to come back and bloom again every spring.

We had a good visit, and I left there mid-afternoon to return to GA. Planning to stop once I got back to Atlanta to visit a cousin briefly, I also spent a bit of time with the daughter who lives in Decatur. All that stopping and starting, chatting and commiserating about life, caused me to be nearly nine o'clock getting home where I did brush my teeth, but did not need to be rocked to sleep before closing my eyes. Having left Decatur at 6:01 am, and been on the road for over six hours, I had no problem drifting off to dreamland.


No comments:

Post a Comment