Wednesday, February 20, 2019

life lessons...



... even though my original proposal for a title was something more descriptive, less forgiving like: 'failed craft projects', or 'you should know better by now', or a variety of other appropriate and far less cleverly worded titles.  I was pondering the chronic and acute mess that faces me in my laundry room, namely that whole wall of shelves holding boxes and stacks of things I know will be needed as soon as I donate to the non-profit or next trash pickup day. Murphy's Law is still in effect: 'You will find it in the last place you look' because you stop looking when you find IT, be that lost item keys, glasses, calendar, etc.

I was pondering life, foibles, our failings as humans, being American while driving back from Decatur in the early hours this morning. About the joys of citizenship and living in American: we do love to have our choices. There is something so classically 'us' when we go to the store and find 99 different types of coffee, but not the one we were looking for! Or 999 different choices of breakfast options, and this is just on the grocery aisle in the boxed items with dozens of dry cereal to decide upon, then all manner of portable hand-held nutrition bars, as well as a vast variety of flavors of instant oatmeal. And then: Pop Tarts in a class by its-own-self. That sugary fruit-filled confection someone had the brilliant idea of adding icing to the top, and then making the filling out of sugar and cinnamon.

Back from being off track: We Love Choices. From years of working in retail, I am convinced that we do love to make a thousand small decisions when pushing a grocery cart. Almost as if: were there not all those wee small choices between varieties of cereal, or coffee, or types of fresh apples, oranges, grapes, potatoes, we would not purchase any at all. Crazy! Especially when so many people in the world are hungry, struggling, living in tents, standing in line for meager portions to feed their families, wondering about potable water, fuel to heat the meal, where the next one might be coming from.

Oh, sorry. I got off track again, wandering dangerously close to preaching.More digressing, but I will try to do better:  Prepared to write a commentary of how long it took for me to realize  how prone I am to start a project that lingers around in a slow painful death before being donated to charity, or someone who mentions enjoying hooked rugs, crochet, knitting, paint-by-numbers, etc. I have learned to just not start it to begin with. Helpful that I have never ever looked at Pintrest, as I have it on good authority it is not only addictive, but a tragic way to invest hours you will never get back after squandering scrolling the Internet.

I just offered to be a volunteer for someone who is organizing a painting project. I like to paint, and will supply my own brush. Even so, it is just not in me to go to the craft store and purchase the components, think that I will bring home parts to assemble. After boxing and sending numerous half-done crafty things out in the world as orphans, hoping some kind-hearted soul will find, adopt and give them love, three squares, and a place to call home I know better! That won't be me at the hobby store with the thought that there are projects out there awaiting my attention. My creativity (along with Elvis) 'has left the building'.

No comments:

Post a Comment