Monday, February 26, 2018

trying to put ...

... the pieces together to assemble a resume, though I have not made any effort to look for employment in over twenty years. Meaning it's hard to recall my personal history: where I have been, and what I was doing the last time there was a need to search. It is, I suppose like a 'good-news, bad-news joke: looking and not looking are equally advantageous, so it is understandably difficult to discern whether this plan to create resume out of thin air is going to be beneficial. The idea of not needing to search (because I already have this employment where I have been for two decades!) is a comfort. And the idea of stepping out and making the effort to put myself in a position where I could stretch while benefiting others has appeal.

In reality, there has been a brief period in the past twenty-plus years when I was doing something radically different from my current situation. There was a position that caught my attention, back when you could actually read about employment opportunities in the 'help wanted' advertisements in the newspaper. (You do recall printed newspapers, right?) I read and responded when there was a job for someone who would serve as an intake counselor for people struggling with substance abuse. My thought was my years of being a volunteer as part of a support group for women made me more than qualified. Plus possibly being over-educated.

Well... that did not work out.

Perhaps I did have to submit a resume, fill out an application for employment. So long ago, I do not remember the details of securing the position. I recall that it took considerable persuasion to convince the person who I first talked with. Since I had absolutely no personal experience with substance abuse: no drug use whatsoever, they did not think I could do the job. I do know I enjoyed the work, and quit under duress. When the office manager was so controlling and territorial I knew I needed to let it go, leave or loose my sanity. It was so stressful working in that place with that individual, who apparently was ready for me to depart, she made my life so miserable I could not sleep at night: a sure sign you need to make a change!

And today, in this piddling little job where I have been for many years, I have a boss/manager I really like. He is the sort of guy who knows you know, and will leave you alone to do what needs to be done. No micro-managing. No looking over  your shoulder, no need to put his nose in your business. You do your work, he knows it is getting done. My most favorite boss ever.



No comments:

Post a Comment