Friday, February 16, 2018

how's that hand...

... that caused you to be out of work for three months last year?  Well...it's probably as good as it will ever be. I have heard people say that you should never expect a body part to return to it's 100% post-surgery ability/use. The act of surgery will reduce function and create other associated difficulties which will prevent the problematic part: joint, spine, whatever, to never regain the full range of motion and ability that you had before you allowed someone to slice you open, hoping for relief or improvement. I think my hand, though not as strong or flexible as it was before "Foosh" (falling on outstretched hands) is a strong as I can expect, with the therapy I was willing to do. Were I more diligent, I would continue with the exercises and regain more of what was lost when the hand was immobilized while healing.

The original problem still exists: the concern about hand pain, long before the Foosh, has begun to return.  Not surprising, since I have been working regularly in recent weeks.  I knew it would not just disappear of it's own accord, so went back last week to re-visit the hand doctor for an evaluation. After I did the repetitive paperwork and sat in the waiting room for an hour, someone announced this particular man was about an hour behind with seeing patients. 'You can wait, or reschedule'. I choose  to reschedule as I was on my lunch hour from work, and was given an appointment to come back on Thursday afternoon (yesterday).

When I went back yesterday, arriving half an hour early to do the paperwork, I took a book, expecting to sit and wait my turn.  After about thirty minutes, someone announced the doctor was at least an hour behind schedule. 'You can wait or reschedule.' I said a very bad word, then went to the window to reschedule. The staffer at the window recognized me from last week, and laughed when she saw me step up to get a new appointment.  They apologized, just like they did last week, when they had no control over the mess. And made me an offer to return in mid-March. What could I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment