Thursday, February 8, 2018

something you never ...

...thought to be thankful for, but I constantly consider it, and am always appreciative of: clarity of mind. There is a family history of dementia, so it could very easily be lurking in my DNA. Enough close relatives have been diagnosed over the years that I am very aware of the possibility - not that there is really anything you can do to prevent. Read more, play puzzling games, eat right, exercise, be kind and respectful to your body. Most of which I semi-do, semi-frequently.

But taking responsibility for the auntie who is in nursing care in Valdosta has made me very aware of the blessing of being able to fend for myself. Having a clear mind, and some degree of memory is not to be taken for granted. I had a pink post-it note on my shirt today, and someone asked me what it was for. I said it was a reminder to do something I did not want to have slip out  of my brain. She is a nurse-practitioner,and laughed, saying she is always making notes to herself, writing on her hand.  I said I have been pinning notes on myself for many years, to keep myself on the straight and narrow.

The auntie called me recently, sounding super anxious, sort of frantic, needing help.Telling me she did not know where she was, other than she thought it was a Holiday Inn. She said someone had broken into her house, and she needed for me to come and do something about it. She could not find her house key, and wanted me to bring a key so she could get in the house. (She was, of course, calling from the phone at the nursing desk at the place where she has been living since last June.)

I told her I thought her house was ok, and reminded her that a cousin was in Valdosta for a few days visiting.He had been staying in the house, so I was certain he had a key, and there was nothing amiss. She insisted the nephew has left, and someone was getting into her house with a key they found. I told her to sit tight, there at the Holiday Inn, and I would call the cousin to check and call her right back. He was perfectly fine. The house is perfectly fine.No intruders, nothing out of order.

I am assuming she remembered just enough of their repetitive/circular conversation to know someone had gotten in. I can imagine her asking him over and over and over: 'where are you staying?' and 'do you have a key?' repeatedly in the same conversation. Since she has NO short term memory and cannot recall what she just said by the time she puts a period on the end of the sentence.

So it's both sad and funny. I know what 'irony' means, but I don't think irony is applicable here. Is there another word for a situation like this? When you have to laugh to keep from crying....Just very thankful I currently have my wits about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment