Monday, February 12, 2018

not inhaling....

... part of a quote from former President Bill Clinton, when asked if he had smoked pot in his younger years. He claimed he had been offered a joint, and had accepted but added the qualifier that 'I did not 'inhale.' Which, one would assume, means he was not flaunting the law against possession of marijuana?

I spent six hours on Saturday when I was at work filling mylar balloons with helium: filled but not inhaled. I recall reading something years ago about the hazards of helium. It is highly flammable. And dangerous to inhale, as filling your lungs with the gas in order to talk with a high-pitched squeaky voice like Mickey Mouse can kill you. If you do it repeatedly, you replace so much of the oxygen in your blood with  helium, it is possible for it to die. Don't do it, even if it seems amusing.

Almost all of the ones I filled, literally hundreds, were red and heart shaped. I probably only filled about half of the ones that were ordered from the balloons supply place in Arkansas. Maybe another 200 that need to be done before Wednesday. I did not know that there will be a discounted price for the smaller ones that usually sell 3 for $10. The ad. in the newspaper has them available at the price of 2 for $3, which means they are less than half-price. A real bargain, if you are desperately in need of helium filled balloons. And also an indication of the amount the price is otherwise inflated.

I expect I will be filling more balloons with helium when I go to work tomorrow. And that we will sell every single one that has been inflated, while they are at such a discounted price. As well as hundreds of dozens of roses that will be in high demand on one day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment