Thursday, March 1, 2018

a day of sub....

... teaching on Tuesday. It was (surprisingly) a remarkably pleasant experience. Though I expected to go to Valdosta to tend to the auntie, my plans changed. When I had the day off from work, decided to try to get one more day of sub. work to boost my total a bit closer to the necessary minimum of twenty. When searching for something that might be tolerable, there was an opening for an aide in the same elementary school where I was a number of days in December. I accepted a job working as a para-professional in a Kindergarten class.

That was probably one of the best substituting experiences I have ever had. In a classroom with an experienced, highly capable teacher who had excellent management skills. She has been at it for nearly thirty years, and obviously figured out what works and what does not. It appears that firmness and clear expectations are the way to go. When there were problems, she would, without raising her voice, remind them of what was required. I don't think she ever, at any point in the day, had any reason to increase the volume of her voice to get their attention and correct behavior.

There were a number of students who came from Latino families, and some who she said did not speak any English when they started in her class. But pointed out that some of those children, even if not fluent in ESL, were obviously some of the brightest in the classroom. They could grasp what was required of them in order to do the work, and focus to get their assignments completed. A well run and smooth operation.

She told me early in the day that she was retiring the end of this school term. What a loss to the educational system. Those older teachers, with the knowledge and experience to really have a positive impact and truly educate, those who know how to impart the basics for establishing the skills needed to progress in learning: they are ready to get out.  She was one of the most capable I have had the pleasure of working with.

At the end of the day, she apologized to me for it being such a rough experience. I responded with the opinion that it had been a pleasure. I did not leave stressed out, no headache, no sense of having been on the front lines of a war zone. Sad that she will be leaving the classroom and taking such a wealth of experience and teaching skills with her when she retires.

No comments:

Post a Comment