Friday, February 16, 2018

update on the hand...

... but first a reminder of the back story: even before the injury back in October, when I fell and broke the bone that connects the parts together.  When I am work, having the use of my hand is essential. I spend my time doing prep. work for fresh food: continually cutting, a knife and flexibility of my right hand are essential, a necessary part of the job. I broke the arm bone, right where it adjoins the hand bones. Making me useless for holding a knife for several months, awaiting surgery, recovering, then into rehab. to regain strength, stamina, flexibility.

But before the accident in mid-October, in late August and early September: I noticed pain in my arm and hand, along the outer edge (pinky finger area) and up towards the elbow. Feeling pretty sure it was work related, due to repetitive motion of using that knife over and over and over during the course of a day's work, I reported the concern to my manager. And also spoke of it to the store manager, in the interest of 'documenting' a possible problem. They were both sort of 'hmm..', noncommittal as you would expect of anyone who sees the looming issue of a workman's comp. claim. One of the things I am often very thankful for is good health insurance.

In early September, I called and made an appointment to see the guy who specializes in hands. I got on the calendar for early November, the first available as a 'new patient'. As things devolved, that original appointment was for the same day as my 'follow-up' after the had surgery in late October. My hand, the broken part, is now back to about 95% - as good as it is going to get, in my estimation.

But the original problem is recurring. Now that I am able-bodied and using a knife all day. That paining problem I called and made an appointment for in September  has raised it's ugly head, and caused me to think I need to be evaluated.

No comments:

Post a Comment