Friday, February 2, 2018

book review: "Trickster's Point"...

... by William Kent Krueger.  Another book read while driving. As well as sitting in the car at my destination: parking lot, driveway, carport - it was so good I would find myself unwilling to turn the car off, waiting for a little more conversation, nefarious activities to be revealed. I have read/listened to a couple of the series featuring the same characters. And found them so believeable, with interesting little personality quirks, and habits I feel like I am personally acquainted with this extended family.

I made a list of all the books Krueger has written, with plans to request others from the library, then randomly came across two of them on DVD that I checked out last week. These books are so well written, making you want to know more, turn the page - I know I would be awake half the night wrapped up in the plot, anxious to resolve the mystery.  Making it best that I not have an actual book with pages to turn, especially when I have to be up and out the door before 6 a.m.

Lead character Cork.O'Connor is a retired Chicago policeman, as well as having retired from the elected position of Sheriff of Tamarack County in Minnesota. He is half-native, and resides with his family near the Ojibwa reservation. Trickster's Point is a large upright rock on the edge of Iron Lake and was the scene of a death when Cork was a teen, along with his friend Jubal Little. Little dies years later at that same place when he and Cork are bow hunting, from an arrow that appears to be just like the custom made arrows Cork uses.

Naturally everyone assumes Cork killed him, especially when Cork says he sat there in the woods with his friend for three hours talking while Little bled out. Lots of unexpected surprises follow, as Cork, though retired from law enforcement, tries to piece the parts together to resolve the mystery and clear himself. All the characters are interesting, well-formed, with many details provided to make them seem remarkably like people you would want to know, have in your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment