Friday, February 16, 2018

something went wrong...

... when we were going to have breakfast for dinner tonight. I made biscuits: two ingredients - just biscuit mix and milk. And cooked two eggs. And made a pot of grits. I know I am absolutely certain I do know the recipe for grits. You have to measure. Just add 1/4 as much grit as you put water in the pot. Let the water come to a boil and slowly add in the grit, stirring as you pour it into the pot of boiling water. Something did not go as planned. The grit never got thick. It cooked and cooked, while I stirred and stirred to keep it from getting lumpy - just did not thicken up, although I measured both the water and the cup of grits.

Wondering what to do, when the biscuits were done, and the grits were still super soupy. So I added cornstarch! It thickens, right? Just a spoonful in some cold water, stir to dissolve and slowly pour it into the hot liquid. It worked. Added the cheese and put it in the bowl to put on the table. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment