Tuesday, February 20, 2018

what a difference...

...eighty minutes makes in the weather conditions. I was planning to go to Virginia to spend several days with my brother and his wife. Those who know me and/or read the meanderings about my life and times are aware of the situation in the lives of these two people. Best, most kindly described as awful, but that word does not even begin to provide an accurate depiction of the daily struggles as she does around the clock nursing duty for him.

I drove up to Decatur on Sunday afternoon, a warm day in middle Georgia, with spring-like temperatures. I set the alarm for four, to get to work five o'clock in the morning, and put in my eight hours. I ran home to throw some clothing in a suitcase, and headed  north. Driving on the interstate to Decatur on a bright sunny with spring-like temperatures. The earliest signs of changing seasons are beginning to show out in the woods: the trees that put out the rosy-rust colored tiny new leaves are starting to demonstrate signs of life. There were a few spots where the right of way was a profusion of yellow from dandelion blooms. A couple of times I noticed the bright yellow of the twining vines of Carolina jasmine up in the tree tops, always climbing towards the sun.

I got a ride to the airport at 5 a.m., to get on a 7:30 flight. You never ever know whether you will get through TSA in twenty minutes or two hours, so need to prepare for the worst while hoping otherwise. I was actually on the underground 'plane train' headed for concourse 'A' by 5:45, with a lot of time to kill before the flight was scheduled to leave.  Leaving ATL on a dark dreary morning, with rain spitting out of the sky, and all the glowing, colored lights of the airport leaving bright, watercolor reflections on the wet pavement. It was an uneventful flight, arriving at RIC in record time.

As we disembarked, that little crack between the airplane door and the tunnel leading to the terminal made me discover the weather was vastly different in Virginia:. about forty degrees different. I was drastically under-dressed, making me think I would have to put on all the clothes in my possession to make it through the week. Hopefully the sky will clear today, the sun will appear and the promise of spring will return.

I remember being in Virginia many years ago, visiting these same people when they had small children. I was astounded by the gorgeous beauty of spring flowers: forsythia, tulips, daffodils in glorious color. I instantly fell in love with the glorious tiny brilliant yellow blooms of forsythia, one of the earliest to show color in the spring.  Now I have forsythia growing at my house that is so happy it has turned into a nuisance: I have begun to dig it up and give it away, putting the odd piece in the trash to prevent it from taking root. If you want some, please give me a call! I will dig and deliver!

No comments:

Post a Comment