Tuesday, February 6, 2018

it was so amusing...

... at work one day recently, when I did something so funny, I laughed about it for the rest of the day. It still makes me smile a week later, when I am doing the same job, and remember how entertaining it was: made me feel like  there must be a hidden camera somewhere, to catch the foolishness and post it on youtube for all the world to see.

Anytime you are handling/touching/dealing with food items prepared for sale, it is imperative you are wearing gloves on your hands, so you do not touch/contaminate the food someone else will consume. Which means there are plastic gloves on  my hands more often than not when I am in the production area of the produce department. As well as a hairnet: we are all about being sanitary.

There are several items prepared and placed in little brown bags that you can cook right in the bag. Put in the microwave if you desire and dump into the serving dish. A mushroom dish, another with green beans and almonds, and one with a combination of cauliflower/broccoli/Brussels sprouts. They all have some type fresh herb added to the packet, and sealed up for sale.

After the bag is filled, you fold over a flap, and pull off a strip of paper that protects the adhesive surface, which seals the bag closed. I was making some of these fresh vegetable combinations recently and failed to take my plastic gloves off before I pulled that protective strip of paper off the sticky part. So naturally my gloved finger stuck to the adhesive. I tried to pull it loose, with my other hand, assuring that both would then be stuck on the bag. It felt just like I was in a cartoon.

You know those scenes were some cartoon creature gets stuck on flypaper, and the harder they try to get loose the more they get stuck? That was me. I got so tickled I had to just walk away from the whole process. I've told con-workers about it, but they were not nearly as amused as I was when I got half my gloved fingers stuck on the cooking bag. It got so bad, I had to go get another bag and start over, pouring the vegetables out of the one that was un-usable. I am still amused picturing ME as that cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment