Monday, January 11, 2016

well, it's cold...

 ...after my comments about how we were well into January and it weren't. Even though I try very hard to Not Watch TV, when I am sitting here pecking away on my computer, and it is blasting at me fifteen feet away, I can't help but notice. Those people who get even more excited about the weather than the guy who has seemingly taken root in the recliner are really worked up about that cold arctic blast pouring in from Canada. They referred to the chilly weather as 'frigid'. I have not been out in it yet, but pretty sure I would not disagree.

I would prefer to not take full responsibility for the change in temperature from 60's to 30's, and hope I won't get the blame. In talking to someone recently about unseasonable warmth we had through December, I was reminded that the peach crop in central Georgia needs some cold weather to be successful. Since I do not farm, and don't fully understand, can't say for sure how that works, or how much cold is necessary. But have read reports over the years of farmers distress when it has not been cold at the right time (shortly before the trees begin to bloom?) or cold at the wrong time (a killing freeze after the trees are blooming that kills all the buds that would produce the fruit?) Yeah, really glad I am not dependent on whims of Mother Nature to make a livelihood.

I've got on my wooliest socks, and several layers, and will put on more before walking out the door to get to work. And thankful for warm house, warm bed, warm clothes, electricity that runs central heat. As well as a microwave that makes me a nice friendly hand-warming cup of hot  tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment