Saturday, January 23, 2016

the original plan...

...was that the cousins would have lunch in Decatur today. After making a decision last year that we should get together more often, and thinking Once a Month sounds good. But you can look out the window and see what the weather is doing, right? Crasie, uncharacteristic stuff for middle Georgia on a peaceful Saturday morning. Nothing at all 'peaceful' about the effects of the 'polar vortex', and 20 degree wind chill factor. Blustery winds blowing snow (snow!!??) around in every direction of the compass. Whipping it off roofs of houses, tree limbs, up from the patches on the ground, blowing up and down and all around at the same time.

My plan was to drive up on Sat. morning to spend the day, and go home in the late afternoon. But when the weather went nuts and weather watchers forecast the worst storm in a hundred years, I proposed to drive up on Friday afternoon. In order to make the trip before it got dark and cold enough to make the highway too slickery for travel.  Got my ducks in a row, and loaded up to spend the night in the attic in Decatur. Bringing groceries to make a broccoli salad and pie for dessert.

Sort of 'inviting myself' to spend the night, sleep on the couch in my snug, cozy sleeping bag that travels everywhere I do. And discovered in the 'inviting of myself', I was also crashing a birthday party. With really good eats: smashed potatoes, beef stew with lots of carrots. And some really sweet dining companions. People who are friends of the birthday girl, she has known for years, most of the time she has been a resident of the City. I don't often see these amusing folk, so it was a real treat for me to enjoy spending time with these smart capable moms/women/devoted friends.

And I don't have to worry about making the slippery drive up the interstate for lunch with the cousins. I'm already there/here! Now all I have to stress over is whether the roads will clear enough for me to get back home. I expect the interstates are all sanded/salted, but the fifty feet down the steep driveway to get to the street is going to be a real challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment