Sunday, January 3, 2016

fairly well, although...

...it is only halfway through the second day. I am trying to be positive, though fully expecting to 'fall off the wagon", likely more than once, dust myself off and get back on. Kinda like your mental picture of the bronc busters at the rodeo? No, not quite that rigorous, but a rough ride nonetheless.

If you've been reading all along, you know that some weeks ago, I made a (possibly foolhardy) declaration that I would attempt to go sugarless for a month. After viewing a You tube video of some guy in Europe who had done it, and remarked on how differently he felt when it was over. Following the weeks of consciously, deliberately ridding his body of refined sugar, and the awful, miserable, disgusting craving (which I already have!) that possesses us all in this advanced civilization and land of plenty/plentiful junk food.  I know there will be times I take the path of least resistance. Especially at work, where a great variety of bad stuff is readily available, almost reaching out to you, leaping off the shelf/rack into your cart.

I just put the ingredients on the stove to simmer for a pot of vegetable soup. I thought I could start with readymade broth, but it has sugar'ish stuff in it. Dextrose, maltose, sucrose: all cousins of refined sugar. Explaining why we are in the mess of massive obesity from empty calories our nation waddles around displaying.

My soup will have a little chicken in it, as the man who lives here would not eat just veg. I'll have it to take to work when I am there all day, and sorely tempted with all those chocolate bars whispering my name at the cash register. I'm not sure I can find any bread-ish type product that will not have sugar or some derivative as an ingredient, to be able to make wraps or some sort of hand held meal as an alternative to spooning my lunch. But will continue to read labels listing ingredients in hope of keeping the bad stuff at bay....

No comments:

Post a Comment