Sunday, January 3, 2016

cooking at work...(salmon)...

...something I would not eat, though from the feed back I was (slightly) tempted.  Quite a  few of the customers to who were persuaded to give it a try admitted to not caring for fish or seafood in general, and reported it to be 'tasty'. Actually saying it did not taste 'fishy', which would be my biggest concern if I should accidentally put some in my mouth. And those who completely declined to give it the taste test would often agree to take a sample of the side dish, which I did eat and thought: 'yummy!'.

So I can highly recommend the side dish and with reservations report that the protein was good as well, though I did not actually put any in my mouth.  Truthfully, all the recipes we prepare and serve in the store are pretty much guaranteed to be fool proof as well as crowdpleasers. Each one has been through so many preliminary screenings, and been taste-tested so thoroughly, there isn't much that can go wrong with home preparation. There are occasionally some slight variations required in-store, due to limitations of space or the equipment we use. But generally hard to mess up.

The fish had a hot sauce that was part of the recipe, poured over the fillets before it goes in the oven. I am always cautious about putting spicy stuff on food: I never, never put it on mine, and would always be very sparing about doing it to anyone else whether friends or passers-by, total strangers. So when the ingredients list indicates adding two tablespoons of chipotle sauce, I would use half that amount. Which is what I did all day Saturday. Trying to let customers who picked up the recipe know that I had made a slight alteration to the specifics printed on the laminated card. I would not deliberately hurt myself with excessive hot sauce, so would not do that to anyone else. We have so many people who come in with small children as well as older people who won't/don't eat firey stuff I just would rather err on the side of caution..

So here's the recipe, for you to try or ignore.

Baked Chipotle Fish

non-stick aluminum foil (did you even know they make this? it seems to work really well!)
1 orange, zest and juice
1 clove garlic finely diced
4 salmon fillets, about 1 1/4 pound with skin removed
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbs. chipotle pepper sauce (remember- I used half this amount... add more at your own risk!)

Place salmon on baking sheet lined with foil (you can use regular foil and spray with non-stick), check for bones.
Combine coriander and salt, sprinkle over fish.
Whisk orange juice, zest, pepper sauce and diced garlic until blended.
Reserve one Tbs. for later use.
Brush salmon with sauce and place under broiler.
Cook for 7-8 minutes until fish is 145F or opaque and flakes easily.
Drizzle with remaining sauce.

Our instructions in the demo. station were to not broil, so we had to bake, cooking a bit longer, testing with temp. probe for doneness. There were some who declined to try, saying that they did not care for seafood, but even those customers usually would try the side dish, which was so good, I could have eaten the whole dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment