Saturday, January 9, 2016

the view from here...

...nearing mid-January is that other than a tremendous amount of wetness, there has not been anything that could be considered 'winter' here - yet. I know, I know, we're just barely into the new year. But if you look at the seasons, as you remember from what you learned in the first grade we are one-third of the way through the one that is supposed to be cold. And yeah,  I admit, I have been wearing my wool socks to bed for months... but I am also willing to confess I wear socks to bed Every Night of the Year. If it is so warm I have been sockless during the day due to flip-flops, my feet will actually wake me up in the middle of the night, and make me get up to put on socks. Not give me any peace until they feel sufficiently covered thus allowing me to go back to sleep.

But here, in central GA, in what I consider the Deep South, it has not been cold enough to kill off the things that are normally considered annuals. I have gerbera daisies still green and blooming. They are  not sold as perennials, but mine are in a place that is minimally sheltered, in a planter under a wide overhanging roof and have been in the same place for four, maybe five years. They are certainly not what I would consider 'hardy', but seem to be protected just enough to come back year after year.

Even though there is plenty of time yet in the season to have lots of miserable weather with freezing temperatures and icy roads, it has not happened yet here. Definitely not complaining, and thoroughly appreciative of the fact that we have not endured any of the wintery conditions that others in the north are facing. Perpetually thankful I don't live in Minnesota or Maine or Alaska. Not sure my bones could tolerate the kind of bleak weather that sets in and seems endless. I could probably be content living in the tropics, where you would not notice the changes of seasons unless you were decorating bulletin boards in an elementary school classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment