Tuesday, January 12, 2016

peach cobbler...

... in a pseudo-, bogus sort of way. If I had been using real, true. honest, genuine, south Georgia home-grown peaches it would be authentic. But using the ones out of the DelMonte can makes it only semi-real. Not the home-grown version your grandmother served, still warm from the oven, in a big crockery bowl, with a yummy scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top.

I was trying to think of something fairly easy to make to take along to a potluck dinner I attend once a month, and the cobbler seemed to be the solution. But it's pretty hard to make fruit cobbler without fruit. Which meant a run to the store to get a can of peaches. Though the recipe actually calls for a can of fruit cocktail, which seems to me to be about the poorest excuse for actual fruit there is. There is something about eating that combination out of a can that is really unpleasant, as well as ...bland?
And those grapes that have been languishing in the can, soaking in the sugary syrup have a really disagreeable texture. I'm thinking it needs to go on my list of things I hope to never put  in my mouth again.


Fruit cobbler

I guess any kind of fruit would do: your choice, but at least a 16 oz. can, you could even use some of the canned things that are actually pie filling like apples or blueberries.
one stick oleo or butter (put it in the 9 x 9 dish and microwave it to melt)
pour the can of fruit, with juice/syrup over the melted butter
3/4 c.self rising flour
1 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs, beaten
Mix the eggs and sugar, add in flour, stir till moistened. It will be hard to mix, be sure you get all the flour mixed in with wet ingredients.
Spoon the mixture over the fruit.
Bake 30 min. at 350.
The next time, I will drain the peaches, and use the syrup to make the flour/sugar mix a bit smoother, so it will be easier to spoon/spread/dollop on the fruit, but it will spread out pretty well when it heats up and bakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment