Sunday, January 31, 2016

traveling on the weekend...

...visiting my penpal in SC on Saturday. I've been making an effort to look at my calendar and go up to see him once a month in recent years. Thinking of how I still miss my dad, and so often wanting to call and ask for advice or see him, talk about daily happenings.  Knowing with Mr. Homer, that  a man of nearly 93 will not be around forever, for me to see on a whim.

I drove up to Decatur on Friday afternoon, to spend the night, and get up early on Sat. to make the run up I-85 to South Carolina. I veered off the highway at the state line, to loop back to the GA. Welcome Center and request info. they might have on the Georgia Guidestones. The well-informed, friendly state employees there gave me a slick little hand-out, and all the personal knowledge they had, which was nearly nothing.

The more I don't know, the more I am curious, and the greater the 'bizarre' factor is about this construction. Made of Georgia granite, quarried in nearby Elbert County, designed to last a gazillion years, are engraved with writings in a number of different languages, offering wisdom for the ages. The archaic languages engraved on the fours huge stones, facing in the four compass directions, include Sanskrit, Classical Hebrew and Mandarin Chinese.The stones are set up on a hill, near the GA/SC border, out in the middle of a pasture, looking like a modern-day Stonehenge... equally mysterious about origin. My little flyer reports that those wishing more info. should contact the Elbert County Chamber of Commerce, www.elbertga.com.

Then went on to SC to arrive in Greenville about ten a.m. I always stop at a grocery store and buy a breakfast pastry to share. So we ate when I got there, and then immediately started talking about lunch. Went to a little café and had vegetables and rode around town a bit. Then we went to the visit his cronies, and cheerful group of geezers at the American Legion.

Left Greenville about 3:00 to go south and see one of my most favorite cousins. Looked at the latest, cutest photos of sweet, funny grandchildren and had a nice visit, then I got back on the road to get to Decatur before I fell asleep. Due to having slept poorly the night before, I felt compelled to consume some caffeine, hoping to not find myself 'under the influence of drowsy' while driving. Safely back into the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment